News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Officials

Started by PatsFan, September 03, 2016, 11:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatsFan

Last night the Wolfpack vs Patriot game was marred by the worst officiating I have ever witnessed. The officials desperately wanted to make their presence felt... And they did to the tune of over 30 + penalties and a game that lasted until 11:00pm. It was terrible and hopefully that crew will not be together and or severely reprimanded for an embarrassing performance.

The last game vs Clovis West was clean and the officials did a great job of keeping control of the game and letting the kids play the game. This week was a complete reversal with a flag every other play.

:

Glenn

Quote from: PatsFan on September 03, 2016, 11:54:06 AM
Last night the Wolfpack vs Patriot game was marred by the worst officiating I have ever witnessed. The officials desperately wanted to make their presence felt... And they did to the tune of over 30 + penalties and a game that lasted until 11:00pm. It was terrible and hopefully that crew will not be together and or severely reprimanded for an embarrassing performance.

The last game vs Clovis West was clean and the officials did a great job of keeping control of the game and letting the kids play the game. This week was a complete reversal with a flag every other play.
:

Don't feeling bad    Patsfan 

at our game we have  16 and 16   32 Penitly didn't finished  until 11 pm too
2015 CSL Champs  and 
2017 VC Runner up
2018  CSL Co Champs 
2018   State champs Runner up 

Send 2013  we be to Division Valley Playoff    

Ethel Ann Grimes Woodall
May 30 ,1938  to  April 27,2010

taysdad

bvarsity echoed your feelings on twitter during the game. "Too much of this game predicated by officials and calls. Two talented teams with experience. Sometimes let them play."

Majorapplewhite

Is it customary for the umpire to spot forward progress on plays? 

DTFan

What I noticed is that some officials tend to be biased towards one team. For example, during the Delano vs East game, the officials would not call offsides on East during kickoffs even when it was way too obvious. During the Delano vs South, a Delano player was penalized for PI when it was clear that the South player pushed the defender.

Then there are games where the officials are unbiased and call the game down the middle. I personally know many of the offials who officiate in Kern and Tulare counties and many of these guys do multiple sports. It's always nice when the head official or one of the other ones come up to the pressbox, introduce themselves and inform us of any new rule changes, etc or to go over signals or answer any questions.

Jazz

I'm hoping the refs are rusty just like the teams were in week 1 & 2. I've seen a head scratcher game, and one that was pretty equal so far.

The Eye in the Sky

I've seen some pretty bad officiating in my day, and to me they fall into two categories (for the most part)

High School: It's all about me, I dictate how this game is going to be played attitude. The types of guys that didn't get to play meaningful snaps in high school, somewhat bullied, always had the girl he liked taken by the guy starting at his position, then went into law enforcement or something of that nature to "show them"

Pop Warner: "Let's end this crap so I can go home and collect my check."

I know there are some really good ones out there, just the bad ones seem to carry these two types of personalities in my opinion. That is excluding the personal bias that some have on top of that.
Coach- " So they're gonna let you run the ball this year huh."
Player-" If they wanna win they will."

Sixtynine

The CW-Edison crew last night made the game such a downer. The first half lasted about an hour and 45 minutes. Didn't stay to the end. Halftime started at about 9:45 after a late start.

In high school football, you could call multiple penalties on every play and the crew last night wanted to make that fact known.

Gotta let kids play the game at some point. There was no flow at all during the game for either team cause there was a 2 minute stoppage after every play
Just my opinion, but my opinion is right

kastnertbirds

Quote from: Sixtynine on September 10, 2016, 07:40:13 AM
The CW-Edison crew last night made the game such a downer. The first half lasted about an hour and 45 minutes. Didn't stay to the end. Halftime started at about 9:45 after a late start.

In high school football, you could call multiple penalties on every play and the crew last night wanted to make that fact known.

Gotta let kids play the game at some point. There was no flow at all during the game for either team cause there was a 2 minute stoppage after every play

Agreed. That crew definitely wasn't the valleys best. I watched the JV game and half of varsity.
DEFEAT IS ONLY TEMPORARY.....QUITING MAKES IT PERMANENT...

MiddleSchoolLegend

Quote from: DTFan on September 09, 2016, 01:39:45 PM
What I noticed is that some officials tend to be biased towards one team.

This has to be one of the first times in the history of this board that the correct tense of bias was used on the first go. 
QuoteI THINK IF YOU SHOW THEM LOVE AND SUPPORT, THEY WILL DO JUST ABOUT ANYTHING FOR YOU. THEY DESERVE SOMEONE TO BE HERE AND STICK AROUND.
Shannon Pulliam, who will be Hoover's fifth football coach in the past seven seasons.(and left after one season)

RoadDawg

Quote from: The Eye in the Sky on September 09, 2016, 04:39:01 PM
I've seen some pretty bad officiating in my day, and to me they fall into two categories (for the most part)

High School: It's all about me, I dictate how this game is going to be played attitude. The types of guys that didn't get to play meaningful snaps in high school, somewhat bullied, always had the girl he liked taken by the guy starting at his position, then went into law enforcement or something of that nature to "show them"

Pop Warner: "Let's end this crap so I can go home and collect my check."

I know there are some really good ones out there, just the bad ones seem to carry these two types of personalities in my opinion. That is excluding the personal bias that some have on top of that.

I totally agree with you... There are a lot of good ones, and they put up with a lot of idiotic BS from fans, but nonetheless, far too many have obvious egos and power issues when they put those stripes on.
"The older I get... The better I was!"

The Eye in the Sky

Quote from: RoadDawg on September 11, 2016, 12:32:11 PM
I totally agree with you... There are a lot of good ones, and they put up with a lot of idiotic BS from fans, but nonetheless, far too many have obvious egos and power issues when they put those stripes on.

Saw the absolute worst case of this at a Pop Warner game in Visalia this weekend.
Coach- " So they're gonna let you run the ball this year huh."
Player-" If they wanna win they will."

RoadDawg

Quote from: The Eye in the Sky on September 21, 2016, 01:48:04 PM
Saw the absolute worst case of this at a Pop Warner game in Visalia this weekend.

Well, youth games are not CIF and the league can ban any ref if they feel its warranted. 

footballforever

Quote from: RoadDawg on September 22, 2016, 09:00:19 PM
Well, youth games are not CIF and the league can ban any ref if they feel its warranted.

Schools that use arbiter (which is most of them) have the option of blocking several refs for each sport. The down side is that when you block part of a team of officials you reduce the pool from which the assigner sends you refs.
It isnt worth blocking unless there is a flagrant problem/incompetence or character issue (such as an official who curses or denigrates the players on the field--I have seen this happen)
It is better to have the AD write notes/comments in arbiter that the assigner can evaluate.
Col 3:23

Tuhs97

Taft at Arvin jv game.
Got here start of the 4th. Over 20 penalties so far. Clean jersey tackles from the front of Jersey being called horse collar on both teams. Lead blockers trucking defense, as well as pancake blocks being called for holding. Please don't be the varsity refs...

good #2

I need some clarification on two calls I saw last night...

#1 -- JV game.  Team A has the ball, 4th and 12.  Team A runs a play and is hit by a player from Team B out of bounds after about a 5 yard gain.  Ref throws a flag for late hit.  Team B is awarded the ball and then assessed the 15 yard penalty.  1st and 10 Team B.  Refs explanation:  It was a dead ball foul.  Is this correct?

#2 -- Varsity game.  Kickoff by Team A.  Player from Team B picks the ball up at the two yard line and momentum carries him into the end zone.  Ref stops the play and gives Team B the ball at the two yard line.  This can't be correct!  Either Team B should get the ball at the 20 or be allowed to return the kick.......right???

CWClassof2007

Quote from: good #2 on September 24, 2016, 10:24:50 AM
I need some clarification on two calls I saw last night...

#1 -- JV game.  Team A has the ball, 4th and 12.  Team A runs a play and is hit by a player from Team B out of bounds after about a 5 yard gain.  Ref throws a flag for late hit.  Team B is awarded the ball and then assessed the 15 yard penalty.  1st and 10 Team B.  Refs explanation:  It was a dead ball foul.  Is this correct?

#2 -- Varsity game.  Kickoff by Team A.  Player from Team B picks the ball up at the two yard line and momentum carries him into the end zone.  Ref stops the play and gives Team B the ball at the two yard line.  This can't be correct!  Either Team B should get the ball at the 20 or be allowed to return the kick.......right???
#1 It should have been an automatic first down with team A keeping the ball.

#2 My understanding is that stepping into the endzone results in a touchback. But I have seen refs let the ball be returned. I've never seen it called dead like that.

DTFan

Last night's Delano @ Foothill game was a head scratcher....

For the first half, the crew was calling the game right down the middle. When Delano committed an foul, a penalty wast justly marked against Delano...The same for Foothill. But when the Third Quarter started, it was a totally different story. Foothill would committ obvious fouls, most right infront of the head official, and nothing would be called. Everything from face mask to holding. There was even a play where both the Foothill runner and the Delano defender met up as the defender was tackling the runner. Both had their heads lowered and both made an attempt to avoid helmet to helmet contact.

Now if there was helmet to helmet contact, you would obviously hear it. No contact was made yet Delano was given a personal fould for helmet to helmet contact. Another head scratcher was when a Delano defender intercepted a pass. He dove for the ball, CLEARLY  had both hands under the ball well before he landed on the ground. The referee who made the call of incomplete pass was behind the defender and had no view of the ball. Tell me, how can he even make a call if he was out of view? I'm not even going to mention before the ball was snapped, the Foothill runner would take off.

It makes me wonder, why aren't these officials called out on their inconsistencies?

RoadDawg

The refs totally blew the end of the SJM - Sunnyside game.   Sunnyside had the ball, no time outs, and the clock was running with under 10 seconds to play.  SHS hustled to the line, where their QB fumbled the snap and dove on the ball, while the clock ran out.  Game over right... wrong, the refs convened for some unknown reason, then put 2 seconds back on the clock and allowed SHS a FG attempt, which they made to win the game with no time on the clock.

I know, you shouldn't be in a position to let the refs determine the game, but there is still no reason I can think of why SHS should have been allowed another play, when the game was technically over. 

DTFan

I agree with you RoadDawg. The game should have been over. No reason whatsoever that the game should have been allowed to continue. I would love to hear what their explanation would be.

Should the head of the officials in Tulare, Kings, Kern, etc be held accountable along with Critchlow?

DTFan