News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Technology

Started by diesel, October 18, 2016, 09:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diesel

bksflddan

What effect does it have on photosynthesis?
"The crux of leadership is seeing what needs to be done and doing it before anyone else"

Run fast! Stay Low!

diesel

Quote from: bksflddan on October 18, 2016, 09:38:38 AM
What effect does it have on photosynthesis?

I didn't see any mention of the effects on photosynthesis. I'm sure since they're in the early stages of experimentation, they're looking at that......still pretty cool.....

SCrubjay

Quote from: diesel on October 18, 2016, 09:33:22 AM
This is pretty cool!!

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/green-tech/a23417/convert-co2-into-ethanol/?ref=yfp

Not too surprising really....  I had to go back and find the article I posted a year and a half ago on Audi converting CO2, water, and electricity into e-diesel... I would guess that going from one combustible fuel to another would be evolutionary rather than revolutionary... the key to the article you posted is scalability...

http://autoweek.com/article/green-cars/audi-cooks-first-batch-synthetic-e-diesel

Just_A_Fan

Quote from: SCrubjay on October 18, 2016, 02:26:16 PM
Not too surprising really....  I had to go back and find the article I posted a year and a half ago on Audi converting CO2, water, and electricity into e-diesel... I would guess that going from one combustible fuel to another would be evolutionary rather than revolutionary... the key to the article you posted is scalability...

http://autoweek.com/article/green-cars/audi-cooks-first-batch-synthetic-e-diesel

Have to see if I can find the article on green gas I posted a year or two ago....that process made a ton of sense as it allowed for a fuel 98% identical to petrol, made from bio materials, current refineries can be converted to produce it, the process uses a catalyst and chemical reaction that produces heat which can be harnessed to create electricity, the fuel is interchangeable with petrol based gas which means the existing infrastructure can be used, aviation and jet fuels can be produced from the process, and the best bio material is the bark from scrub type trees that grows in crappy ground with low water requirements and remove saline content from the soil.....

Backwards K

Quote from: Just_A_Fan on October 18, 2016, 03:24:17 PM
Have to see if I can find the article on green gas I posted a year or two ago....that process made a ton of sense as it allowed for a fuel 98% identical to petrol, made from bio materials, current refineries can be converted to produce it, the process uses a catalyst and chemical reaction that produces heat which can be harnessed to create electricity, the fuel is interchangeable with petrol based gas which means the existing infrastructure can be used, aviation and jet fuels can be produced from the process, and the best bio material is the bark from scrub type trees that grows in crappy ground with low water requirements and remove saline content from the soil.....

I have no problem converting Pinto Beans to Natural Gas... and I offer free samples...
\\\"Four things come not back: The spoken word, The sped arrow, The past life, The neglected opportunity.\\\" Some One Wise Said It...

\\\"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.\\\"

bksflddan

"The crux of leadership is seeing what needs to be done and doing it before anyone else"

Run fast! Stay Low!

diesel

Quote from: bksflddan on October 19, 2016, 01:04:32 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/10/19/ala/

This is what confuses me. We have people who will flat out deny that climate change is even occurring and then when it is REALLY obvious that it's occurring.....like when we've got way more greenery than normal, we get this.....

This proves that our caps are melting and there is more land mass and more CO2 and our climate is changing BECAUSE of CO2 emissions......oh, but it's a good thing 'cause we're getting lots of plants.......nothing to see here......move along......REALLY???

Just_A_Fan

Quote from: diesel on October 19, 2016, 01:52:25 PM
This is what confuses me. We have people who will flat out deny that climate change is even occurring and then when it is REALLY obvious that it's occurring.....like when we've got way more greenery than normal, we get this.....

This proves that our caps are melting and there is more land mass and more CO2 and our climate is changing BECAUSE of CO2 emissions......oh, but it's a good thing 'cause we're getting lots of plants.......nothing to see here......move along......REALLY???

The climate has been changing since the Earth was formed and will continue to do so until she dies.  Most people react negatively to the "sky is falling and let's stop civilization" crowd not based on the climate changing "slightly"  but to the notions that a) we can do anything to stop it, b) that grabbing money in huge amounts from people/business and redistributing it will do anything about it, c) that the small changes that occur will end life as we know it......I'll put it to you this way Diesel with a simple question and answer;  what were the most life filled, green, and explosive periods on this planet?  Answer; Triassic, Jurassic, and into the Cretaceous Periods (aka the Mesozoic era).  The temperatures were warmer than today, CO2 levels were higher than today, and plant and animal life exploded on a huge scale.  There were no polar caps in much of this period and when they did form they were very small/short lived, volcanoes were putting out more CO2 that mankind has ever dreamt of doing, and the Earth was a happy camper.  What you fail to realize is that the global warming crowd is after one thing only, MONEY, and they get it by scaring uneducated and ill informed people with chicken little tales with very little basis in factual outcomes.  We are a sub-tropical species so a little warming north of the Mason-Dixon line isn't something that our species genetically is going to have issues with....will some other critters, Yep, but that's what happens in evolution, some make it some don't.....

SCrubjay

Quote from: Just_A_Fan on October 19, 2016, 03:25:18 PM
The climate has been changing since the Earth was formed and will continue to do so until she dies we kill her ......

FTFY

/ couldn't resist ;) LOL

Just_A_Fan

diesel

Quote from: Just_A_Fan on October 19, 2016, 03:25:18 PM
We are a sub-tropical species so a little warming north of the Mason-Dixon line isn't something that our species genetically is going to have issues with....will some other critters, Yep, but that's what happens in evolution, some make it some don't.....

Our species relies on a lot of OTHER "critters" so your simplistic view of this is very cavalier.......

Just_A_Fan

Quote from: diesel on October 20, 2016, 10:02:14 AM
Our species relies on a lot of OTHER "critters" so your simplistic view of this is very cavalier.......

Oh yes, when you can't refute with fact use the typical sky is falling greenie response....the polar bear making it or not making it will not have a whole lot of impact on our species, same with the delta smelt, though polar bears aren't anywhere close to dying out any time soon.  Critters have an amazing way of adapting to world around them, the polar bear being a good example, and the ones that can't die off, like the mammoth, saber tooth, et al.  Been that way since life began and it's not going to change.....

diesel

Quote from: Just_A_Fan on October 20, 2016, 03:55:52 PM

Oh yes, when you can't refute with fact use the typical sky is falling greenie response....the polar bear making it or not making it will not have a whole lot of impact on our species, same with the delta smelt, though polar bears aren't anywhere close to dying out any time soon.  Critters have an amazing way of adapting to world around them, the polar bear being a good example, and the ones that can't die off, like the mammoth, saber tooth, et al.  Been that way since life began and it's not going to change.....

Could THIS affect us?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/10/03/496402620/bee-species-added-to-u-s-endangered-species-list-for-1st-time

Just_A_Fan

Quote from: diesel on October 20, 2016, 04:20:08 PM
Could THIS affect us?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/10/03/496402620/bee-species-added-to-u-s-endangered-species-list-for-1st-time

Did you bother to read and comprehend the article?  For example:

Despite the threats, the University of Hawaii says these bees "have managed to persist with amazing tenacity." While this group of species is now endangered, new species of the genus are discovered regularly — "11 new native species have been found in the past 15 years."

Amazing tenacity and 11 NEW species found in just the past 15 years......hmm, nature at work and the sky hasn't fallen....also:

"From that one original colonist they evolved into 63 known endemic species, about 10% of the world's yellow-faced bees and more than are found in this genus in all of North America."

So, in short, evolution working as the critters adapt and continue to adapt to their surroundings.....some make it, some don't.   

izne1home

The protected status "will allow authorities to implement recovery programs, access funding and limit their harm from outside sources," as Gregory Koob of the Fish and Wildlife Service told The Associated Press.

Just_A_Fan

Quote from: izne1home on October 24, 2016, 07:27:00 AM
The protected status "will allow authorities to implement recovery programs, access funding and limit their harm from outside sources," as Gregory Koob of the Fish and Wildlife Service told The Associated Press.

Always boils down to that with most of the greenie stuff....

SCrubjay

Quote from: Just_A_Fan on October 24, 2016, 08:36:06 AM
Always boils down to that with most of the greenie stuff....

see... Green is Good... you're almost a tree hugger

Just_A_Fan

Quote from: SCrubjay on October 24, 2016, 08:50:34 AM
see... Green is Good... you're almost a tree hugger

LOL!!!!

In truth though, I am a tree hugger but one with some common sense.....the "greenies" don't have the latter and are mostly a bunch of funding grubbers....

Went up through Yosemite a few weeks ago and the forest on the west side is at least half dead...think they've got some bug reeking havoc....breaks your heart to see :(

diesel

Quote from: Just_A_Fan on October 24, 2016, 09:07:58 AM

Went up through Yosemite a few weeks ago and the forest on the west side is at least half dead...think they've got some bug reeking havoc....breaks your heart to see :(

That is drought related......dry wood invites the bug.....

diesel