News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Top 10 Retired Head Coaches in Section History

Started by DonnieBaker1962, June 29, 2017, 03:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonnieBaker1962

I'm sure a thread like this exists, forgive me if it already does. I'm starting it by placing a 5 southern valley coaches in alphabetical order. Curious to hear about the northern part of the section's history.

Paul Briggs
Steve Denman
Dwight Griffith
Ned Permenter
Pat Preston

Cite - http://kcsportshalloffame.org/

Jazz

I would have to say 3 recent would have to be

Tim Simons
Chuck Shidan
Tom Casanova

TeddyKGB

what is the criteria for "top" is it winning percentage, total wins, longevity, titles? Personally I don't like to use wins as a indicator of a good HS coach, but for the sake of discussion I would have to go with, in no particular order:

Steve Denman
Paul Preston
Randy Blankenship
Jim Hartigan
Tim Simons
Dallas Grider
Chuck Shidan
Paul Briggs
Mike Vogt

Jazz

Robinson was the Woodlake coach correct?  I was thinking about him, but could not remeber his name.

coachhammer

Tappin' or Nappin'--You make the choice!

TeddyKGB

Quote from: coachhammer on June 30, 2017, 10:45:02 AM
How about John Fanuchi?

although he was an outstanding coach I find it troubling bring myself to praise anyone or anything to do with garces! In all seriousness, Fanucchi would be tough to leave off the list. It will be difficult to get down to the top 10 there has been a plethora of outstanding coaches here

steve-o

Im not sure if he makes the list but what about Pat Plummer?
if your not cheating your not trying!!

bksflddan

Quote from: steve-o on June 30, 2017, 11:56:04 AM
Im not sure if he makes the list but what about Pat Plummer?

Dwight "Goldie" Griffith by far when he started at KCUHS he was head coach of __________
insert sport and won championships in most of them. Unprecedented State, Section, Valley record for football.

That said I believe you can't truly have a top ten. Our section has had too many including Amos Alonzo Stagg.
"The crux of leadership is seeing what needs to be done and doing it before anyone else"

Run fast! Stay Low!

kendahas

A little history on Leo Robinson from a Lindsay Cardinal.  I think he is in the top 10.  Leo left us almost 15 year ago.

Legendary Woodlake Football Coach Dies

Leo Robinson, who won a Central Section-record 290 games during a 41-season career with the Tigers, was 67.
By Bryant-Jon Anteola, The Fresno Bee, Published Monday, November 4, 2002)
Leo Robinson, who set the standard for Central Section high school football and brought prominence to Woodlake High, died Sunday morning after being in a coma for 13 days. He was 67.
Robinson suffered a stroke Oct. 21 and immediately lapsed into a coma. He was admitted to Saint Agnes Medical Center and underwent brain surgery but never recovered consciousness, daughter Diana Christie said.
Robinson was one of the most successful coaches around, finishing with a 290-129-11 overall record in a 41-year career. His 290 victories are a section record and the third-best total in state history.
He was a mainstay at Woodlake, with a career lasting longer than all of his original colleagues and coaching several three-generation Tigers players.
Even after his offseason battle with cancer last winter, which briefly robbed him of his ability to walk, Robinson returned to coach this season, using a golf cart to get around during practice and sitting on the bench while calling plays during games.
"He's an icon at Woodlake -- he's an icon of the Valley," said Woodlake athletic director Frank Ainley, who assisted under Robinson for 25 years.
"He's always been the backbone of Woodlake football. He leaves a tremendous void here that we'll never be able to replace."
Before Robinson arrived at Woodlake in 1962, the Tigers had recorded only one winning season in 10 years.
Then after starting his career with a 1-7-1 record, Robinson turned Woodlake into a perennial power.He laid down a foundation based on mental and physical toughness, discipline and preparation while generating "Tiger pride" which is still present to this day.
The Tigers captured 18 league titles and six section titles (one was forfeited) during Robinson's tenure.
"Leo loved football so much," said former Orosi football coach Ed Coats, who coached against Robinson an estimated 30 times.
"His teams were always difficult to stop. When you played his team, you knew you had your hands full.
"We knew their plays, the names of their plays, and how to stop them -- and they still were successful against us and knew how to win."
Robinson had aspirations of reaching 300 wins. His coaching career was highlighted by section titles in 1972, '82, '85, '86, '87, and '89.
The 1985 section championship, however, was forfeited in the infamous "foggy game," when Woodlake was accused of wearing the wrong-colored jerseys against Orosi.
Robinson also coached baseball and amassed a 367-202-8 overall record in 27 years.
During his induction to the California Coaches Association Hall of Fame in May, Robinson said his biggest thrill was coaching sons Ron and Randy, who graduated from Woodlake in 1980 and 1985, respectively.
Ron went on to play major-league baseball, while Randy reached the minor leagues.
"He always loved working with kids," Christie said, "but he really enjoyed those days coaching my brothers."
Born Sept. 21, 1935, Robinson always showed a strong passion for football.
He graduated from Porterville High in 1953, played football for two years at Porterville Junior College and earned an athletic scholarship at Fresno State.
His playing career in college was brief after Robinson underwent knee surgery shortly before his first Fresno State game. He never played a down for the Bulldogs.
Upon graduating from Fresno State in 1958, Robinson went to Woodlake to take over the baseball program. Four years later, he assumed the football position.
Robinson received several offers throughout his career to coach at other high schools or junior colleges but rejected them all without hesitation.
"Football was his life," Christie said. "He was so dedicated to it, to the kids, to the program. We're all going to miss him. We loved him so much."
Robinson is survived by his wife Mary Lou, sons Ron and Randy, and daughters Diana and Debbie Stevenson.

Backwards K

\\\"Four things come not back: The spoken word, The sped arrow, The past life, The neglected opportunity.\\\" Some One Wise Said It...

\\\"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.\\\"

Swaggy

REY REYES has to be a guy amongst this group. The guy was very successful at parlier high. Then he turned around the edison high program that wasn't worth crap before he got there with one win seasons and built a dynasty there. Then he moved on to Fresno high and resurrected their program challenging for the valley title every year. This guy took two programs in the inner city of fresno and totally rebuilt them when they were at there lowest low.
I am authentic

sport2051

John Yavasile from Redwood, Jeff Munter from Lindsay

laidback

Aaron Eames did a pretty darn good job at Yosemite when the NSL was a strong league. He took a small school & played up 2 & 3 divisions higher than they should have. He won a couple of section titles & many league titles. He had wins over Edison, Fresno, Hanford, Hanford West & Sunnyside just to name a few. Not bad for a little school that had 1050 to 1100 students.
LOYALTY - PRIDE - HONOR

laidback

Quote from: Majorapplewhite on July 10, 2017, 11:44:14 AM

Mike Sparks

You beat me to it. He is one of the best coaches in central history in my opinion.
LOYALTY - PRIDE - HONOR

Jazz

Sparks was able to brand a community of football.  Everything is compared to his era.  I hear all the time when a new coach comes in that it isn't DP football.  He elevated football so high, I don't think another coach stands a chance in DP.  I'm not from there, but I hear it all of time when I run into a DP alum.

valleyfbfan

Randy Blankenship isn't retired. He is the head coach at Aptos High School.

the football guy

Tim Simons has to be a top 3.. multiple VC Coach D1 several years,  Coach Jr College.. Build programs from scratch. Always had competitive teams and solid coaching staffs..
TOP 3 for sure

Bronco

Quote from: the football guy on July 12, 2017, 07:29:00 PM
Tim Simons has to be a top 3.. multiple VC Coach D1 several years,  Coach Jr College.. Build programs from scratch. Always had competitive teams and solid coaching staffs..
TOP 3 for sure
And seven years on the Bulldog staff with Coach Pat Hill - with many Bowl Game victories & a lot of WR's that went into the NFL.

Bronco