News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Trevor Horn on changes ...

Started by bksflddan, April 15, 2018, 09:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bksflddan

"The crux of leadership is seeing what needs to be done and doing it before anyone else"

Run fast! Stay Low!

Beercat

"I love it," Bakersfield High coach Paul Golla said.

Doesn't get any better than playing the Drillers at their famed stadium ....

Playing Bako is actually a throw back ... who can correctly guess the last time the Drillers and the Bearcats meant on the football field?

TeddyKGB

Beercat, my guess would be mid to late 80's 88 maybe.

Only benefit I see playing the teams on the coast is pregaming at Jocko's

Beercat

Quote from: TeddyKGB on April 16, 2018, 11:34:56 AM
Beercat, my guess would be mid to late 80's 88 maybe.

Only benefit I see playing the teams on the coast is pregaming at Jocko's

Nope  .... no games in 1988 against any teams in the valley. Actually you need to go back to 1955 when the Drillers beat the Bearcats 13-12. Two year contract  .... In 1954 the Bearcats beat the Drillers 20-14.

Jocko's? Well if your playing AG, Nipomo or a school in the Santa Maria Valley. But your best bet in the PR/Atown area would be McPhee's in Templeton ;)

bksflddan

Quote from: Beercat on April 16, 2018, 11:50:54 AM
Nope  .... no games in 1988 against any teams in the valley. Actually you need to go back to 1955 when the Drillers beat the Bearcats 13-12. Two year contract  .... In 1954 the Bearcats beat the Drillers 20-14.

Jocko's? Well if your playing AG, Nipomo or a school in the Santa Maria Valley. But your best bet in the PR/Atown area would be McPhee's in Templeton ;)

1954 was Paul Briggs first season as Drillers HC ... my brother was on the 55 and 56 teams.

The opening game of 57 was against Santa Maria when the Drillers scored 2 touchdowns in the last two minutes to win 28-25!
"The crux of leadership is seeing what needs to be done and doing it before anyone else"

Run fast! Stay Low!

Beercat

Quote from: bksflddan on April 16, 2018, 06:11:01 PM
1954 was Paul Briggs first season as Drillers HC ... my brother was on the 55 and 56 teams.

The opening game of 57 was against Santa Maria when the Drillers scored 2 touchdowns in the last two minutes to win 28-25!

In the mid 50's PR had a population of 5,000  .... Bako 40,000

bksflddan

Quote from: Beercat on April 16, 2018, 07:35:06 PM
In the mid 50's PR had a population of 5,000  .... Bako 40,000

... and? Bako had 5 HS's, what's your point? Bako won 5 state titles in the 1920's with a population half the size of Fresno and a heck of a lot less than Berkeley, LA, Santa Monica, and Long Beach. Great coaching matters vs small student body!

Run fast! Stay Low!

Beercat

Quote from: bksflddan on April 17, 2018, 10:16:12 AM
... and? Bako had 5 HS's, what's your point? Bako won 5 state titles in the 1920's with a population half the size of Fresno and a heck of a lot less than Berkeley, LA, Santa Monica, and Long Beach. Great coaching matters vs small student body!

I believe there were only 3 public high schools in 1955 within the city limits of Bakersfield. Bakersfield, East Bakersfield and North Bakersfield ;)

In 1955 Paso Robles high school had an enrollment of around 300 students. Give the Crimson and White some love  .... played tough against Bako back in the day for a little public school :)

bksflddan

Quote from: Beercat on April 17, 2018, 03:26:01 PM
I believe there were only 3 public high schools in 1955 within the city limits of Bakersfield. Bakersfield, East Bakersfield and North Bakersfield ;)

In 1955 Paso Robles high school had an enrollment of around 300 students. Give the Crimson and White some love  .... played tough against Bako back in the day for a little public school :)

I posted:
... and? Bako had 5 HS's, ... add GMHS, BAA ...

North HS was not in the city limits (still isn't)... but within the "Greater" Bako area ... mid 50's included South HS (57) ... years I had included in previous post.

PR also included students from outside the city limits ...

Run fast! Stay Low!

Beercat

Quote from: bksflddan on April 17, 2018, 05:07:55 PM
I posted:
... and? Bako had 5 HS's, ... add GMHS, BAA ...

North HS was not in the city limits (still isn't)... but within the "Greater" Bako area ... mid 50's included South HS (57) ... years I had included in previous post.

PR also included students from outside the city limits ...

Let's keep this in line with the years they played  .... 54 & 55

GMHS, BAA ... ???

Shandon and Templeton had their own high schools in 1955. Yes there were ranch / farm kids outside the city limits but the enrollment in 1955 was only around 300 students.

bksflddan

Quote from: Beercat on April 17, 2018, 05:29:04 PM
Let's keep this in line with the years they played  .... 54 & 55

GMHS, BAA ... ???

Shandon and Templeton had their own high schools in 1955. Yes there were ranch / farm kids outside the city limits but the enrollment in 1955 was only around 300 students.

Bako only had about 5000 in 1955! Cl of 55 had about 800 graduates ...

Garces Memorial HS in 55 had about 300. Bako Adventist Academy 75 ...

Run fast! Stay Low!

Beercat

Quote from: bksflddan on April 17, 2018, 06:41:10 PM
Bako only had about 5000 in 1955! Cl of 55 had about 800 graduates ...

Garces Memorial HS in 55 had about 300. Bako Adventist Academy 75 ...

Were talking public high schools here ;)

Paso had around 300 total enrollment with a graduating class of around 75 kids

bksflddan

Quote from: Beercat on April 18, 2018, 06:45:26 AM
Were talking public high schools here ;)

Paso had around 300 total enrollment with a graduating class of around 75 kids

You are ... I'm not ...

Run fast! Stay Low!

bksflddan

Run fast! Stay Low!