News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Clovis High

Started by cv ball fan, February 03, 2009, 08:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will CLovis High step up next season

Yes
44 (58.7%)
No
31 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 58

cv ball fan

Click Here

Just got word that Tulare Coach Darren Bennet is in the running for the Clovis High job.  I heard this from a source who is very close to the staff and also from a Clovis alum.  He was also overheard this last weekend discussing the position with a Clovis official at a local restaurant.  It is about time a local guy is considereed for one of these jobs.  Tulare has had a lot of success during his years there.  Tulare would definitely be losing a great coach.  Anyone else heard this?

Scorpy84

Good to hear this name being mentioned.  :u:

It has been very quite at CHS.

The only thing I've heard is they have several excellent candidates and they could be announcing something by mid-February.

diesel

Quote from: cv ball fan on February 03, 2009, 08:40:35 PM
Just got word that Tulare Coach Darren Bennet is in the running for the Clovis High job.  I heard this from a source who is very close to the staff and also from a Clovis alum.  He was also overheard this last weekend discussing the position with a Clovis official at a local restaurant.  It is about time a local guy is considereed for one of these jobs.  Tulare has had a lot of success during his years there.  Tulare would definitely be losing a great coach.  Anyone else heard this?

Clovis Unified - $69,361  top salary '08-'09 http://notes.clovisusd.k12.ca.us/board/boardpolicy.nsf/b487024259e8ce9d8825735300619add/3d16f3b405ae4639882574b500003ea0?OpenDocument

Tulare Unified - $82,695 top salary '08-'09 http://www.tulare.k12.ca.us/employment.html

No way a head coach is gonna take that kind of pay cut to move from division 2 to division 1......especially with the years Bennett's been at Tulare.  How long has he been there, 10....15 years?  And to go to a school district that has no tenure?  I just don't see it.......

Father of the GHOST

booster perks could make up the difference
Leave it all on the field

diesel

Quote from: Father of the GHOST on February 04, 2009, 11:59:08 AM

Maybe.........but big picture, Clovis doesn't exactly have a good track record for keeping coaches.  One and done and then he's out the door and starting over at another school?  The perks of retirement funds outweigh any booster perks that "might" come his way........

bigfan

Quote from: dlineguy on February 04, 2009, 11:42:23 AM
Clovis Unified - $69,361  top salary '08-'09 http://notes.clovisusd.k12.ca.us/board/boardpolicy.nsf/b487024259e8ce9d8825735300619add/3d16f3b405ae4639882574b500003ea0?OpenDocument

Tulare Unified - $82,695 top salary '08-'09 http://www.tulare.k12.ca.us/employment.html

No way a head coach is gonna take that kind of pay cut to move from division 2 to division 1......especially with the years Bennett's been at Tulare.  How long has he been there, 10....15 years?  And to go to a school district that has no tenure?  I just don't see it.......

If they want him bad enough they will work it out and visa versa!!
Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

izne1home

If CHS's booster clubs are run anything like CW's, I'd be surprised if 13 cents made its way to the coach, let alone $13,000.  

CW boosters funded some clinics, things that they might otherwise be expected to pay out of pocket, but those were all reimbursements.  No direct benefit.

Sorry to burst all those bubbles out there, but that's the boring reality.

CWSwinner

This sounds like a topic for Loyalnomore :u:

COBRA

Booster Perks in High School, does that really happen? Here at CE it sure doesn't.
Man in the Mirror

izne1home

Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't happen at CW either.

COBRA

ISNE, do you know if it happen anywhere in this area? We know it happens at the college level, but High School? I don't think so, maybe private schools.
Man in the Mirror

izne1home

Not that I'm aware of, but my knowledge is limited to CUSD.  At CW, the boosters club doesn't even maintain a checking account.  Every penny runs through Foundation West and is disbursed with the signature of the AD and pursuant to a budget, with a PO and backup documentation.

We raised a lot of money, but we spent the vast majority of it on the kids - food, scholarships, equipment, ...  We reimbursed pre-approved expenses for clinics, but that was it.

I could see where a coach would place value on that kind of support, but it does not equate to income. 

izne1home

If he did, it was given to him by the school or Foundation West.   The boosters club is not a separate entity, capable of opening accounts, establishing credit, etc.  It is nothing more than a 'football support committee of Foundation West.'

bigfan

Quote from: izne1home on February 05, 2009, 07:50:14 AM
If he did, it was given to him by the school or Foundation West.   The boosters club is not a separate entity, capable of opening accounts, establishing credit, etc.  It is nothing more than a 'football support committee of Foundation West.'

OCV is speaking of the Fallbrook boosters.  As you stated the CW TD club funds are totally under the control of the foundation.
Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

valleyfbfan

The coach that pulled that smooth move down at Fallbrook was an assistant to Blankenship there and at CW.  He took over when Blankenship went to Texas. 

insiderinfo

The CIF has passed legislation which prevents Coaches from receiving anything other than reimbursement checks from booster clubs. The only way they can get paid is if they have a "camp account" of some sort, which then the boosters could potentially pay the coach out of for running a camp. Otherwise, coaches can not receive payment from booster clubs.

Father of the GHOST

Quote from: insiderinfo on February 05, 2009, 08:53:53 AM
The CIF has passed legislation which prevents Coaches from receiving anything other than reimbursement checks from booster clubs. The only way they can get paid is if they have a "camp account" of some sort, which then the boosters could potentially pay the coach out of for running a camp. Otherwise, coaches can not receive payment from booster clubs.
can a booster club pay a head coach or assistant a stipend?
Leave it all on the field

Bronco

The  Clovis  High  Football  Boosters  Club  is  quite  a  bit  different  then  most  high  school  booster  clubs.  It  was  started  in  1984  by  Mr & Mrs  Paul   & Terri  Spraitz  to  help  the  Program  do  extra  things  for  the  kids  &  supply  support  for  the  Program.  They  are  not  in  any  way  controled  or associated  with  the  CUSD , which  I'm  sure  is  not  liked  by  the  administration .  The  Booster  Club  has  it's  own  charter , accounts , tax  numbers  &  is  audited  as  a  seperate  business  from  CUSD . In  fact  it  is  set  up  as  a  business  model :u: It  is  not  part  of  the  Cougar  Foundation

To  get  back  on  subject  though - I  heard  that  there's  going  to  be  a  meeting  tomorrow  morning  for  all  current  Clovis  High  football  coaches.  Maybe  a  decision  has  finally  been  made, or  maybe  it's  just  to  keep  everybody  informed , who  knows ??

insiderinfo

Quote from: Father of the GHOST on February 05, 2009, 09:18:58 AM
can a booster club pay a head coach or assistant a stipend?

Not anymore. The old CIF wording used to be a little ambiguous, and in essence discouraged without outlawing it. My understanding (and it comes from several area athletic directors) is that the CIF has rewritten that section to be a little more clear, however I have not seen it myself. I also know the Coaching Certification test that all state coaches are now required to take made mention of it. My understanding is that there are two workarounds to pay coaches:

1. The aforementioned camp account idea, in which coaches are paid for running camps/clinics.

2. Donate the money to the school athletic department, who can us it to supplement there existing stipends. The check just can not be written by the booster club to the coach unless there is proper documentation for some sort of reimbursement.

Anyone else who is in administration may have a better understanding than my very rudimentary perspective.

Scorpy84

Quote from: Bronco on February 05, 2009, 09:35:32 AM
The  Clovis  High  Football  Boosters  Club  is  quite  a  bit  different  then  most  high  school  booster  clubs.  It  was  started  in  1984  by  Mr & Mrs  Paul   & Terri  Spraitz  to  help  the  Program  do  extra  things  for  the  kids  &  supply  support  for  the  Program.  They  are  not  in  any  way  controled  or associated  with  the  CUSD , which  I'm  sure  is  not  liked  by  the  administration .  The  Booster  Club  has  it's  own  charter , accounts , tax  numbers  &  is  audited  as  a  seperate  business  from  CUSD . In  fact  it  is  set  up  as  a  business  model :u: It  is  not  part  of  the  Cougar  Foundation

Bronco-

Things have changed. The CHS Football Booster Club was moved into the Cougar Foundation last year.

The move to the Cougar Foundation was a CUSD mandate.

Scorpy84